Ornament #1--The Onion Dome Paper Ornament
Paper strips of 1/2 inch width
Hole punch or awl
Two brads to fit the size of the hole you punch
Piece of embroidery thread or fishing line for the hanging loop.
You will need five strips of paper--two that are 4 inches in length, two that are 3 1/2 inches in length and one that is 3 inches in length (all strips are 1/2 inch in width).
Preparing the Ornament
- Take one of the longest pieces, right side down.
- Take one of the middle pieces, and place on top of the longest piece, right side down.
- Take the short piece, and place on top of the middle piece, right side down.
- Take the remaining middle piece and place on the small piece, right side up.
- Take the remaining long piece and place on the middle piece, right side up.
- Align all of the pieces by the bottom edge and punch a hole 1/8 to 1/4 inch from the bottom.
- Re-align all of the pieces by the top edge and punch a hole 1/8 to 1/4 inch from the top. Put brad through this hole. Tie a loop of thread or fishing line around this brad.
- Place the remaining brad in any single hole of the ornament.
Assembling the Ornament
When your recipient opens up the bag, there will be a flat ornament. To build the ornament, take out the brad from the single hole of the ornament (do not remove the brad from the hole with the loop).
Align all of the holes from the loose ends of the ornament (this will give it the onion dome shape) and place the brad through all of the holes of the paper strips.
For this ornament, you will need strips of 1/2 inch in width (please keep in mind that these dimensions are solely based on the 4 inch by 4 1/2 inch Advent Calendar bags. These can be made in any dimensions and look beautiful in larger sizes).
The beauty of this ornament is that you can use a variety of different papers. I used patterned paper with white backing for illustrative purposes but you can use any number of double sided papers, or reflective papers/card stock, etc.