Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Iron Craft Challenge #8--Jacob's Ladder

Jacob's Ladder (Image from Yahoo! Images)

For this challenge we were asked to make something based on a childhood toy. I didn't have a lot of toys as a kid but I do remember the magic and awe that was inspired by a wooden Jacob's Ladder. I would sit for lengths of time just sitting in awe while watching it work. So for this challenge, I decided to make one using paper products. To see a toy in action,  you can watch one here. Unfortunately, my arms weren't long enough to video my toy in action.

My toy was made using binder's board, Japanese papers and illustrations of koi. For the sample below, there are five tiles with a front and back. Each tile half was covered in a different Japanese paper. The koi were trimmed and then glue to each half. Some of the tiles have the same image on front and back and others have two different images.

Once the tiles have been prepared the ribbon is laced through tiles and then the tile halves are glued to each other. I will have a post tomorrow on how to make your own Jacob's Ladder.



Side One

Side Two
The beauty of this project is that you can use any image you want for the front and back sides of the tiles.I have seen these painted in primary colors (like the top image) and others that use postcards or family pictures.


2 comments:

Just Crafty Enough said...

How wonderful would that be for a child with family pictures on it, beautiful idea.

Jinxy said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your tute on this. I've always wanted to know how these work.