Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Iron Craft Challenge #22--Hanukkah Card

Scanned Card
For the 22nd Iron Craft Challenge, we were given the Hindu festival of lights called Diwali as the inspiration. We were asked to "create something using light. It can be something related to candles, electric light, a picture of light or even something that reflects light."

I was inspired by a different festival of lights--namely, Hanukkah. Because Hanukkah happens so early this year (actually, it coincides with Thanksgiving in the United States), I had a couple of people approach me to make some cards but I needed the extra motivation of the Iron Crafters to get me going. Having just completed the 31 Days of Halloween challenge, I was a little late in starting the project.

For this card, I decided to cut a menorah stencil for a 5" by 7" card. There are three layers of paper here. The menorah is lined with silver mirror paper. The candles are lined with the white liner paper which also becomes the salutation page. The flames are lined with orange vellum paper (see the scanned image above)

Backlit card with lights on
So, to meet the requirements of the challenge, I have the light theme. A battery operated tea light for the electric light, and the silver paper that reflects the light.

Backlit with the lights off

For me, the beauty of the card appears when backlit and the room lights turned off. The candles seem to float in the air. Overall, I am very happy with the way this card turned out. I don't know if I will mass produce this card for selling since it was fairly time consuming.

1 comment:

Just Crafty Enough said...

You really put a lot of time & thought into this card & it really shows. I can see why you wouldn't want to mass produce it.