Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Iron Craft 2014 Challenge #11--Canning Lid Memory Game (Project 22)



For this Iron Craft Challenge, we were asked to create something from the Dollar Store (or any store that had 99 cent items). I was in the Home Depot store in Manhattan and came across the clearance section of the store. I found these Kerr Canning Lids on sale for 99 cents. Both sizes were on sale for the same price. I didn't know what I wanted to do with them so I bought 15 sets in both sizes.

Two coincidences happened to help me create this project. One of my friends is having a hard time keeping her young children occupied and asked me if I could make them something. The older of the two children is 5 years old and getting ready for kindergarten. The other child is 3 1/2 years old.

The second coincidence that happened was I was notified Sr. Rita,one of the three last remaining nuns that worked in the orphanage where I was raised as a child, had died. So during this time frame I was remembering my time there.

One night, as I was trying to sleep, I remembered asking Sr. Rita if I could have the lids from the canned food we were being served. I remembered how I would write numbers and words on the lids with magic markers and play the memory game. We used to play with cards but we lost some of the cards. To play, you turn all of the cards (or lids) face down and start selecting two objects and turn them over. If they match, you get to keep them and get another turn. If they don't match then you turn them over face down again and someone else gets a chance to match.

With these memories in mind, I made this set of Canning Lid Memory games. Since the lids are used for canning, there are no sharp edges to hurt the children. I simply cut circles out of patterned scrapbook paper and glued to to the depressed area of the lid. (I am sure that you can use a circle punch or even round stickers to make it easier).

The first set was simply based on colors (see above). The only stipulation is that you need to have an even number of lids with the same color.

A second set was based on numbers. You can use these for the memory game or to help learn numbers. Make two sets if you want to use them for the memory game.


The third set was based on the alphabet. I made an uppercase set and a lower case set. Individually, they can be used to learn the alphabet. In combination, you can match the lower case with the upper case for the memory game. If you use for the memory game, I would only suggest using a matching set of only 10 letters so it doesn't get overwhelming for the children.


All in all, this project didn't take long at all to complete.

1 comment:

kat said...

Very nice and I love the story about how you decided to make this,