Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Iron Craft 2015 Challenge #3--Encaustic Collage

The Key to My Broken Heart
For our third challenge, we were asked to do "Something New." I was vacillating between several ideas until I read this post from Susi where she decides to revisit unfinished projects in her studio. Rather than come up with a new project, I decided to check my myriad of materials in my studio to see what new projects that I had already purchases materials but had never attempted.

I realized that I had all of the materials to complete a project that I had always wanted--an encaustic collage. The only appliance that I didn't have was a wax warming plate so I decided to use my electric skillet in order to melt and keep my wax at a constant temperature.

The board is a two inch thick 10 inch by 10 inch Encaustic Board. The background paper is a vintage Valentine paper. The hearts are cutouts there were left over from a previous project. The key is from my key stash. The wax was colored with oil paint sticks there were buffed out after being fused to the piece.

Bottom Detail
Top Detail
For my first attempt, I am very pleased with the way that it turned out.

1 comment:

kat said...

I did the same thing, find materials in my stash. This is such a cool looking technique. I think using the retro valentine paper helped give it a antique look.